Monday, November 15, 2010

Sorghum Baked Custard

Sorghum Baked Custards

8 large egg yolks
¼ cup packed light brown sugar
½ tsp fine sea salt
1 tablespooon sorghum
3 cups milk or 2 cups milk and 1 cup heavy cream – what I use depends on what I have in the fridge.


Pre-heat the oven to 325 degrees.  Arrange 6 ramekins in a baking dish – I use small jam jars.  In a large bowl, whisk together yolks, brown sugar, salt, and sorghum.  Set aside.  In a saucepan, bring the cream and/or milk to just under or at a boil over medium heat.  Remove from heat and add cup of milk mixture to yolk mixture and whisk, continue whisking and add yolk mixture to rest of milk mixture.  I use a funnel to add mixture to ramekins for easier control and less mess.  Fill baking dish half full with water around ramekins, cover tops with aluminum foil, and add to pre-heated oven. Bake for 30 – 40 minutes or until butter knife is inserted into one of ramekins and comes out clean.  Take out of oven and set to side to cool.  When room temperature, remove foil topping and add a little sorghum to top.  You can eat at cool, room temperature, or warm in oven just before serving.  My kids also enjoy a topping of whipped cream just before digging in. 



1 comment:

  1. I'm following you - found you on bloggy moms! I love your layout!!! If you have a second, maybe you could check out my blog: http://buzzinbalms.blogspot.com/

    we have 10 laying hens...they should start laying in the next month or so...I can't wait!!

    ReplyDelete