Tuesday, November 2, 2010

Quick Comfort Food

Today is a day for comfort food.  It's Election Day and the kids are sleeping in while I'm up with the chickens drinking my daily ritual of coffee.  A lazy day at home will be warranted after still resting up from the holiday weekend.  My son will be running in and out of the house all day while continually adding things to his tree house, and my daughter will inevitably be in the field with her horses.  When daddy gets home from work will can enjoy a big bowl of hearty red beans and rice before preparing to finish the rest of the week.  I lived in Louisiana as a child and love me some cajun food, this is a toned-down version for my family.  Not too spicy and not too difficult to make.  Perfect for the busy family or the one who just wants to hang out.Lodge L Series Enamel 6 Quart Dutch Oven, Patriot Red



Red Beans and Rice

One bag of red beans – soaked overnight.
2 cups of brown rice
Smoked sausage ring – halved lengthwise and sliced.
1 ½ cups chopped thin okra
1 small squash quartered and sliced thin
Tony’s Cajun seasoning.
Stock or Broth – I make my own from end pieces of chicken I store in the freezer and a piece of ham hock.

I cook the sausage first – brown in skillet and remove into separate bowl.  Cook okra and squash mixture in drippings until browned well and crisped up a little.  Combine drained beans and rice into pot and cover with stock.  Cook until tender.  Drain rice and beans.  Add sausage, squash, and okra.  Add 2-3 tablespoons of Cajun seasoning.  Stir well and enjoy.

1 comment:

  1. I like making easy recipes like this. I get to spend more time relaxing and just enjoying the day with the family.Thanks for sharing this

    ReplyDelete