Wednesday, November 17, 2010

A Different Kinda Pumpkin Recipe

I have come up with a great recipe of meatballs with pumpkin puree, believe it or not.  They are incredibly yummy and very tender.  I came upon this recipe because I had just enough pumpkin puree leftover to make something really yummy, but not enough to warrant keeping.  This particular day, my husband and son were gone deer hunting while my daughter and I spent some quality time in the kitchen.  She recently turned eight years old and is very interested in learning about her newly diagnosed food allergies.  We look through cookbooks and try to think of different foods to prepare that will be easy on her dietary restrictions.  On this cold, cloudy day we decided pasta and meatballs were such a food.  We prepared spaghetti style rice noodles, meatballs with pumpkin puree, and a brown butter sage sauce.  Needless to say, dinner was very rich and filling.  The pumpkin was not overpowering at all, and added a very velvety texture to the already tender meatballs.  My daughter went out to our herb garden and gathered a number of sage leaves to prepare flavored oil; we appreciated the brown butter sage sauce more! 

Pumpkin Meatballs

3 lbs ground beef 80/20
½ tsp ground sage
Small onion chopped and browned in skillet.  I use my iron skillet
2 tbs. pumpkin puree
3 eggs
½ cup allergy free bread crumbs


Combine all ingredients in large bowl and mix to combine.  Pre-heat oven to 350 degrees.  Roll out meatballs to a little larger than golf balls.  Brown in same skillet as onions was done in.  Brown on two sides and add to baking dish in oven and cook until done – about 20 minutes.  I combine with pasta and a brown butter sage sauce.


No comments:

Post a Comment