Thursday, November 11, 2010

Hill Family Potatoes

With the colder months coming in, my family enjoys more comfort food.  Our family never stops – be it with sports, our animals, entertaining, or the farm.  When the activity level doesn’t slow down, I need to make sure they are eating plenty of warm, hearty meals.  This recipe is extremely thrifty, which I am all about.  It is exactly how I learned to cook, as well.   My husband and I were very young when we got married and started our family.  We were, literally, living paycheck to paycheck for what felt like a really long time.  I could either spend thirty dollars on a few pizzas to last a night, or I could buy flour, beans, etc. and learn to make my pasta and other things.  This is how I learned to garden.  I still continue to learn about the different fruits and vegetables that I grow.  This past year was my first time growing potatoes, and boy did I get that one right.  We continue to have tons of little red potatoes to use up. 


Hill Family Potato Hash

6 red potatoes  cut in half, then cubed.
1 ring of smoked sausage cut into coins
3 small onions cut into rings
your favorite breading for onion rings – we use a Cajun style corn meal breading.
3 eggs with 1/3 cup milk for egg wash
Salt and pepper to taste.

Put onion rings in egg wash, breading, and fry in corn oil until golden brown.  Place on paper towel to drain excess oil.  Add sausage coins to skillet on medium high heat until browned, remove from skillet onto paper towel to drain excess oil – leaving remaining fat in skillet.  Add potatoes to remaining fat in skillet and cook until browned and fork tender.  Combine potatoes and sausage and top with onion rings.  A great family-style meal. 

1 comment: