Friday, January 14, 2011

Allergy-Friendly Jalapeno Poppers

What a busy week!  With the snow finally melting away, we have planned and started more changes within our home.  It’s hard work to pick out the proper paint color.  With these plans and purchases we have ate pretty simply.  Lots of soups and tapas for the family; and they have LOVED it!  I love experimenting and creating new recipes with allergy friendly ingredients.  I say allergy friendly due to the fact that we do enjoy dairy.  I have dairy goats that help provide for my family.  I love making my own butter, cheese, yogurt, and ice cream.  It’s even easier to create these with the help of my favorite kitchen aid mixer, and I can always count on my husband to “gift” me with new attachments.  One of our favorite new, quick recipes is for jalapeno poppers.  They are historically infamous in our home but took a backseat when the allergies came along.  Now, I can make them allergy friendly with a just a couple of tweaks.  First of all, don’t use cream cheese; it will melt right out even if you try freezing first.  Trust me, I tried it.  We use hard, sharp cheddar.  It gives great flavor and can stand up to the oven.  I included a picture of before the oven, but the family attacked with such fierceness that none survived for a post picture.  Their reasoning was that I could always make more...

Jalapeno Poppers



Chosen amount of Jalapenos.  10-20 for a gathering of less than 10 people
1 block of Sharp Cheddar Cheese
Sliced Bacon

Snap stems off of jalapenos.  Cut jalapenos in half and scrape seeds out and rinse jalapeno boats off to remove excess seeds.  Cut pieces of cheese to fit into jalapenos and wrap with bacon in single layer.  Place on a rack sitting within a baking dish to capture grease away from poppers.  Bake in pre-heated 350 degree oven for about 20 minutes.  Last, place oven on low broil setting to just finish top of bacon.  It is sooo delicious! 

No comments:

Post a Comment