Wednesday, December 1, 2010

Snacks through the Holidays

‘Tis the season for the busy holidays!  We always have something going on, whether we are participating in holiday events around town, school activities, or family visiting for the holidays.  As a parent, I have to make sure I keep quick snacks on hand that are flexible and easy to keep handy.  One item I always keep on hand is granola.  I keep it in a huge glass jar in the kitchen, she eats it on her yogurt, pours a little milk over it as a breakfast in itself, or a baggy full as a snack.  This time of year I have to be a little more creative with snack-time.  The only fruit in-season has been apples and persimmons here in Kentucky.  Spring and Summer snacks are easier because our orchard is full of berries, grapes, melons, etc.  We started our own vegetable garden a few years ago and have grown to a small orchard and herb garden as well.  If we buy produce we only buy local or as local as we can, and do the same with juices.  I don’t buy from outside of the U.S. at all.  If that’s the only option then we take a different route altogether.  My husband was the one who really pushed for that, he thought that if we couldn’t get it in our area then it wasn’t too necessary for us to have it.  We did expand that to include the U.S. altogether to have more options for our family.  I am currently trying to expand on our snack repertoire with more fall and winter snacks that continue to be healthy.  Lots of cracker recipes and granola are kept in the kitchen.  I wanted to share my fall-themed granola recipe with the readers.
‘Tis the season for the busy holidays!  We always have something going on, whether we are participating in holiday events around town, school activities, or family visiting for the holidays.  As a parent, I have to make sure I keep quick snacks on hand that are flexible and easy to keep handy.  One item I always keep on hand is granola.  I keep it in a huge glass jar in the kitchen, she eats it on her yogurt, pours a little milk over it as a breakfast in itself, or a baggy full as a snack.  This time of year I have to be a little more creative with snack-time.  The only fruit in-season has been apples and persimmons here in Kentucky.  Spring and Summer snacks are easier because our orchard is full of berries, grapes, melons, etc.  We started our own vegetable garden a few years ago and have grown to a small orchard and herb garden as well.  If we buy produce we only buy local or as local as we can, and do the same with juices.  I don’t buy from outside of the U.S. at all.  If that’s the only option then we take a different route altogether.  My husband was the one who really pushed for that, he thought that if we couldn’t get it in our area then it wasn’t too necessary for us to have it.  We did expand that to include the U.S. altogether to have more options for our family.  I am currently trying to expand on our snack repertoire with more fall and winter snacks that continue to be healthy.  Lots of cracker recipes and granola are kept in the kitchen.  I wanted to share my fall-themed granola recipe with the readers.



Fall-Themed Granola


3 cups of oats
1 cup sunflower seeds raw
¾ cup flaxseed
1 stick of butter
2 tbs local honey
3 tbs brown sugar
1 tbs cocoa
3 tsp cinnamon
2 tsp cardamom

Melt butter, add honey, brown sugar, and cocoa.  Combine other ingredients in large bowl.  Add liquid ingredients and combine well.  Spread onto large, greased baking sheet and heat @ 350 degrees for 15-20 minutes.  Leave out until cooled and add to storage container – enjoy!


No comments:

Post a Comment