Thursday, January 26, 2012

Do You Waffle?

Isn't it great when you find that one recipe that you know by heart and can manipulate to suit your needs no matter how sweet or savory you want to go?  That recipe for me is in the form of waffles.  Maybe it's because I have two active kiddos, but waffles are great vessel for me.  I can make them sweet or savory; they can be served breakfast, lunch, or dinner; and they can be eaten by themselves or as a sandwich.  They are also a great way to get plenty of protein, energy carbs, fiber, fruit, veggies, and whatever else your body may be needing.  I have been known to add  1 - 1 1/2 cups cooked wild rice to my waffle batter to use as sandwiches.  Last night I added lemon zest and juice from half a lemon along with 1/4 cup poppyseeds for a version of waffles; top with yogurt and a drizzle of honey this morning for an energy packed breakfast.  Do you remember my post-Thanksgiving post?  I added left-over smoked turkey and dressing and made a cranberry maple syrup; I get hungry just thinking about it.  Sure, everyone knows to add your favorite fruits or nuts (if non-allergic); but have you ever tried adding a little cardamom along with those blueberries?  They won't disappoint.  For a sweet treat try adding 1 cup melted chocolate chips (Enjoy Life Brand at my house) and top with your favorite berries; it's make a great happy birthday treat in the morning!  You'd be amazed at what your imagination will come up with by thinking outside the box a little bit.  We top our morning waffles with some yogurt and a drizzle of maple syrup or honey, and I always add fresh berries when available.  Lemon Poppyseed waffles with fresh blueberries or mulberries can't be beat!  Go ahead and try one or all of these recipes and let your imagination take off from there.  Don't let plain old blueberry waffles or Fried chicken and waffles rule your recipes....

Here's my basic waffle recipe:

2 cups of your favorite A.P. allergy-friendly flour
1 1/2 tsp xantham gum
1 tsp baking powder
1/2 tsp baking soda
1/4 tsp salt
*Mix dry ingredients well to make sure xantham gum is distributed well.
Add 4 tbs melted butter
3 eggs
2 cups plain yogurt
1 tbs honey.

Follow directions on your waffle maker; This recipe makes 12-14 waffles for my cheapie WM.  I place in freezer bag and heat-up as needed for those busy school and/or soccer mornings!

No comments:

Post a Comment