Tuesday, January 3, 2012

Bring On 2012!

I hope everyone had a Merry Christmas, and I wish each and every one of you a Happy New Year!  Have you started your New Year's Resolutions yet?  I have already started on mine!  My New Year's Resolutions are to make more time for myself; no really.  I've already started that in the way of Yoga.....and I am thoroughly enjoying it and look forward to every class.  I'm also making a commitment to my writing.  I've been doing a lot of interviews lately and getting a lot of encouragement for the book; it's great to here and I am really going to try to commit to it.  Even if I have to wait and do my writing after the kids are in bed or change my schedule to allow more "me" time in the morning.  Probably not going to be the latter, but you never know.  Make sure you all check out the upcoming issue of Kiwi Magazine..growing families the natural way.  The next issue has an article featuring food allergies, and even includes a little about our family.  I even have a New Year's Resolution regarding food allergies; to make more time for baking.  I love to bake and have felt disconnected from it for long enough!  Our family has been food allergy friendly for over a year now and there really is not an excuse to be had.  When people ask me how I do it; How do I not?  You just make the time, and it's time I make the time for all that bread making!  This is where I plan to start.....



Maple Bacon Cinnamon Rolls


Ingredients
  • 2 Tb. butter
  • 1/4 c. sugar
  • 2/3 c. milk
  • 1 egg
  • 1/4 c. oil
  • 1 tsp. vanilla
  • 1 Tb. instant yeast
  • 1/4 c. sorghum flour
  • 1/2 c. millet flour
  • 3/4 c. corn starch
  • 1/4 tsp. baking soda
  • 2 1/2 tsp. xanthan gum
  • 2 tsp. baking powder
  • 1/2 tsp. salt
Filling
  • 2/3 – 1 c. brown sugar
  • 1 1/4 tsp. cinnamon
  • 3 pieces bacon cooked & crumbled (optional)
Glaze
  • 3/4 c. powdered sugar
  • 1 tsp. vanilla
  • about 2 Tb. maple syrup
Warm milk and add yeast; leave to activate.  Combine dry ingredients; make sure to sift well.  Stir in wet ingredients and yeast mixture; do not over mix.   Place dough mixture between two pieces of buttered wax paper and roll into rectangle, remove top piece of wax paper and sprinkle filling evenly throughout.  Using bottom piece of wax paper to assist; begin initiating "the roll".  It should roll pretty easily.  Cut into slices and place in baking dish at 350 degrees for 20 minutes.  Pour glaze over top when cinnamon rolls are done.  

You should end up with at least 8 cinnamon rolls.  Try to go ahead and make the time to make multiple batches, It's worth it.


No comments:

Post a Comment