Friday, October 29, 2010

Getting Ready for the Halloween Parties

Eating Allergy Free has become a part of our everyday.  Sure, I still keep a bag of pizza rolls in the freezer for my son and his friends, and a package of wheat bread for the rest of the family.  That's all, though.  So, today is their Halloween parties at school.  Fun!  My son is in 5th grade and they are having a small 30 minute end of the school day party.  I made rice krispie treats with frosted Kellogg's Rice Krispies and cut them out to look like ghosts.  Rice krispie treats are a great allergy friendly treat as long as you buy the name brand, the generic brand has soy in their ingredients.
 My daughter is younger and her Halloween party is scheduled to be for an hour and a half the last part of her school day.  A pizza party will ensue, not a great thing for those with food allergies, but a lot easier to manage.  I use Udi's pizza crust and make her own pizza that I can take to school with the party.  That way, she's enjoying the same thing as her friends.  That's the most important thing, that she doesn't feel different.  I also made Rice Krispie treats for her class using her Sunbutter and cut them out to be pumpkins.  The Sunbutter gave them a great orange(y) color.  I added a heaping tablespoon to the marshmallow-butter mix before adding to Rice Krispies.  I also found Cherrybrook Kitchen sugar cookie mix.  She could have it, I was so excited.  No soy!  I found some allergy friendly candy to make up a goodie bag for just her - starburst gummies and pixie sticks with a chocolate candy bar from Enjoy Life.  They are a little pricey, but to have as a treat for times like this is truly great!

No comments:

Post a Comment